Should commit abb139e75c2 about "kernel loading firmware directly from fs" be backported to stable trees ?

Hi,

I'm using stable kernel 3.4.52 and udev 181.

During the boot, initrd is trying to load isci driver but it hangs
during 60 seconds. Then the kernel log says that there was an issue
when loading the firmware and driver will use the default values. I'm
not sure if the firmware is actually loaded at the end.

Anyways after doing some googling I found that my problem is probably
related by what is described here:

    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/1368617

If that's the case, I'm wondering how this should be fixed for older
stable kernels: should Linus' fix be backported ?

Thanks for any helps.
--
Francis