Re: Should commit abb139e75c2 about "kernel loading firmware directly from fs" be backported to stable trees ?

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 09:56:02AM +0200, Francis Moreau wrote:

> The commit description is : 177-4-ge64fae5 therefore I think it's
> reasonnable to claim that all versoins of udev >= 178 are affected.
>
> Back to my initial question, and assuming it's reasonnable to run an
> old kernel with affected udev (>= 178 or maybe earlier), how this
> should be fixed ? Do you think it makes sense to backport your initial
> fix ?

As no one has reported this problem in the timeframe that 3.4 has been
around, I don't want to add it unless people say there is a problem.
Given that udev also fixed the issue in newer versions, if someone is
wanting to run an older kernel with an updated udev, I would think they
would update to a newer version without this issue.

But again, if you could test this, that would be great, and we can go
from there.

thanks,

greg k-h