Re: Should commit abb139e75c2 about "kernel loading firmware directly from fs" be backported to stable trees ?

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 6:55 PM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[...]

> There were even patches sent to the systemd mailing list to fix it,
> and Kay refused to apply them. They were not complicated patches. They
> were literally one-liners saying "if it's a firmware load event, just
> do it immediately without serializing against other things, because
> the things you may be serializing against may be the thing that wants
> to load firmware!".

I missed the fact that patch for udev exists:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2012-August/006357.html

Now I have 2 possibilites: either patch the kernel or udev but I'm not
sure which path to follow. I would choose fixing the kernel since udev
won't be fixed anyways but would be nice to have your opinion.

Also v3.4 was out on 20/05/2012 whereas udev 182 was released on
18/03/2012. Therefore I don't think that it's unlikely to run an older
kernel such as v3.4 with an affected udev. Actually I'm suprise that
there have been no reports for it.

I'm attaching a backport of your patch for 3.4. It was almost trivial,
but I'm not sure about the modifications I did in
firmware_free_data(), specially the condition to test if the firmware
has been loaded by the kernel itself. I will test it tomorrow to check
if I'm really affected by the udev bug, but whatever the result I
think it's still an interesting issue to address.

Thanks.
--
Francis