Re: squirrelmail can not list folders

Michelle Konzack-2 wrote:

> Hello Tomas Kuliavas,
>
> Am 2010-07-04 21:37:56, hacktest Du folgendes herunter:
>> SquirrelMail does not mark emails as read, if user does not ask for that.
>> Looks like your Mutt is setup to use Maildir directly and courier moved
>> new mails from new to cur after you logged in IMAP. Mutt stored
>> read/unread information differently.
>
> No, I use mutt with IMAP
>
> If a messages comes in, it is stored in the /new/ folder and  the  first
> IMAP client which access the IMAP store, trigger  courier  to  move  the
> messages to /cur/.  But now if I access the IMAP server with  mutt,  the
> messges are all maked as "OLD" and not "NEW".  So mutt does not find any
> messages to access.
>
> I use in my own webmail tool "php5-imap" and here the behaviour is right

IMAP server stores Read/Unread information is one location. If you connect
to IMAP server with different email program, it does not change the way
message flags are read. Message can be marked as read only when user asks to
do that. SquirrelMail must execute special IMAP command in order to mark
messages as read. In standard SquirrelMail there is no user level action
that can mark all messages stored in folder as read. Only some plugins can
do that.

It is possible that user marks all emails as read without noticing it, if
user has browser, browser extension or proxy with broken prefetching
implementation.

Michelle Konzack-2 wrote:

>> Is server side sorting turned on? Is Mutt set to use IMAP or works with
>> Maildir directly?
>
> No, no server side sorting and "mutt2 use IMAP

Please turn server side sorting on. It is part of SquirrelMail optimization
manual (http://www.squirrelmail.org/docs/admin/admin-6.html) and courier
supports it. You have somewhere between 2500 and 5000 messages in your INBOX
and mailbox is sorted. This is the only way to hit 32MB memory limits in
src/folders.php, if you log in to SquirrelMail and go to Folders page
without opening any other mailboxes.

Michelle Konzack-2 wrote:

>> SquirrelMail uses standard IMAP subscription commands.
>> courierimapsubscribed is not used by SquirrelMail. It is used by
>> Courier-IMAP. Looks like your mobile mailer does some thing too and you
>> bombed it after you subscribed lots of folders in SquirrelMail.
>
> The file ~/Maildir/courierimapsubscribe had always  arround  15  folders
> listed and mutt was configured to ignore the file using
>
>     set map_list_subscribed=no
>
> because my Nokia has not such function which mean  I  have  to  use  the
> standard courierimapsubscribe for it which was  modified  after  I  used
> squirrelmail and had severa 100 folders isted.

SquirrelMail does not subscribe to all IMAP folders without user asking to
do that. You subscribed all those folders yourself or you installed some
plugin and set it to autosubscribe all folders.

You have lots of emails and looks like you lost your SquirrelMail 1.4.15
configuration when you upgraded. Server side sorting must be turned on in
any setup with large number of messages. Message sorting in PHP is highly
inefficient and memory intensive operation. Technically your problem is not
a bug. You might ask SquirrelMail developers to implement "maintain folder
subscription on client instead of using IMAP server's tools" feature.