Re: Changing the UI views in current dev SM

On Nov 15, 2008, at 1:55 AM, Paul Lesniewski wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 10:36 PM, Scott Haneda
> <talklists@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Nov 14, 2008, at 7:21 PM, Paul Lesniewski wrote:
>>
>>> You are welcome to play with the default (or default advanced)
>>> skin in
>>> 1.5.2 and change it to suit your needs (and share with the community
>>> please).  Once 1.5.2 becomes more stable, the hope is that it
>>> catches
>>> on and people begin to develop skins for it.  But as I mentioned
>>> earlier in this thread, finding free time to complete some of the
>>> big
>>> development tasks needed for 1.5.2 has become difficult for many
>>> of us
>>> on the team.
>>

>> Where do I find out more about this structure, there seems to be
>> General Display Options
>> Skin:
>> Theme:
>> Icon Theme:
>
> You should start by looking at the code IMO, not making assumptions
> based on the interface.  The skin/template documentation isn't yet
> written, but I'd start by reading the configuration file in the
> templates/default directory.  Then start fiddling with the layout code
> therein.

There will be places in which I do that, and I did first look for
docs.  But in reality, for the question above, to look through the
code, get familiar, and determine the answer to my question, is going
to take a good deal of time.

In cases like this, is it really a bad idea to ask the mailing list,
and hope to get someone who implemented it to reply in a few sentences?

I mean, I can take up a few minutes of someone's time, and move on to
getting something more productive done, or I can wade through the code
and get an answer in a few hours.

If that is your suggestion, I will respect that, but in this case, I
think it is a good time slow down with little gain to me to accomplish
my goal, to built a nice skin/theme.

>> So three different ways to deal with this, then in the distro I see /
>> themes, /templates, /css
>
> I don't know to what extent if any the /css and /themes directories
> are used any more, but I think the idea was to move away from them, so
> that most of the important stuff is in each skin (template) directory.

Ok, thanks, I will reply to this in your other email as well, since it
is related.

>> I opened /templates and duplicated default to defaults_scott and it
>> is
>> not showing up in the Display panel.
>
> Run the configuration utility and add the skin or edit the main SM
> config file and add it there.

Ok, will try that.

>> If you can point me to any docs on this, and how to understand the
>> flow, that would be appreciated.  Mainly, looking to see how to
>> activate my own set of files in the list.
>
> One important thing to note is (see the default_advanced skin) that
> skins can inherit from one another.  That way, you can create a skin
> where you only add a few files at a time, and any pages that are not
> found in your skin are taken from whatever skin you inherit from.

Ok, thanks for that info.  I will be providing a complete and final
solution though.  I am not sure how well it plug-ins will degrade into
the system, but I can toss in a few calendars and the like and see
what happens.
--
Scott