Re: Changing the UI views in current dev SM

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 10:36 PM, Scott Haneda <talklists@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Nov 14, 2008, at 7:21 PM, Paul Lesniewski wrote:
>
>> You are welcome to play with the default (or default advanced) skin in
>> 1.5.2 and change it to suit your needs (and share with the community
>> please).  Once 1.5.2 becomes more stable, the hope is that it catches
>> on and people begin to develop skins for it.  But as I mentioned
>> earlier in this thread, finding free time to complete some of the big
>> development tasks needed for 1.5.2 has become difficult for many of us
>> on the team.
>

> Where do I find out more about this structure, there seems to be
> General Display Options
> Skin:
> Theme:
> Icon Theme:

You should start by looking at the code IMO, not making assumptions
based on the interface.  The skin/template documentation isn't yet
written, but I'd start by reading the configuration file in the
templates/default directory.  Then start fiddling with the layout code
therein.

> So three different ways to deal with this, then in the distro I see /
> themes, /templates, /css

I don't know to what extent if any the /css and /themes directories
are used any more, but I think the idea was to move away from them, so
that most of the important stuff is in each skin (template) directory.

> I opened /templates and duplicated default to defaults_scott and it is
> not showing up in the Display panel.

Run the configuration utility and add the skin or edit the main SM
config file and add it there.

> If you can point me to any docs on this, and how to understand the
> flow, that would be appreciated.  Mainly, looking to see how to
> activate my own set of files in the list.

One important thing to note is (see the default_advanced skin) that
skins can inherit from one another.  That way, you can create a skin
where you only add a few files at a time, and any pages that are not
found in your skin are taken from whatever skin you inherit from.  See
the config file.