Re: Changing the UI views in current dev SM

On Wed, November 12, 2008 8:31 pm, Scott Haneda wrote:
> Currently I would like to improve on the issue in this image:
> http://www.newgeo.com/web/misc/172910-sm.png
> There is plenty of room to show more of the name, how can I accomplish
> this?
>
> As seen in this image, there is a grey area to the right, this can be
> larger at times, is there any way to get full expansion of the table:
> http://www.newgeo.com/web/misc/17316-sm2.png

It's absolutely possible, and could be adjusted easily by users, if we could
encourage those developers who write core and plugins code to use better HTML,
without fixed dimensions in elements like tables, and to make liberal use of class
and ID attributes. Then the whole SquirrelMail UI would be more flexibile and
adaptable and could be adjusted or even transformed by use of CSS (Cascading Style
Sheets).

Right now the SM team writes good PHP, but the HTML is "old school" and infexible.
Without much work, the excellent base that they've built could be improved by
cleaning up its HTML and adding attributes that can be targetted by CSS.
SquirrelMail could look much better and be much more customizable, without a lot of
work.