Re: Compromised Accounts

Chris Hilts grabbed a keyboard and wrote:

> casfre@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> >      I already have fail2ban running to protect a ssh server. Until
> > now ( just 1 day ), it is running ok.
>
> >      I will use your rules to protect squirrelmail too. :-) I
> > already use squirrel_logger. :-)
>
> I would recommend using fail2ban to protect the underlying SMTP and
> IMAP services rather than SquirrelMail, as it is just a client for
> those services.  You want to protect the services themselves.  YMMV,
> of course.

Fail2ban should be used to protect those services as well.  However, if
someone manages to get logged in to the Squirrelmail interface, they'll
have all the access that they *want* to the underlying SMTP & IMAP
services.  Protecting the interface from a brute-force login attack
shouldn't be ignored, and fail2ban can help with that.

             --Dave