Re: Compromised Accounts

On Nov 21, 2007 9:10 AM, Fredrik Jervfors <jervfors@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Maybe not effective or good solution, but I am testing
> > fail2ban.org, with sshd, and I saw a reference ( in their website) about
> > using it with Squirrelmail.
> >
> > I have never tested fail2ban before, even with sshd, so I don't
> > know if it is a good solution.
> >
> > I hope my email help more than it spend bits. :-)
>
> <http://wiki.nerdylorrin.net/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=SquirrelMail> was
> interesting. Maybe SquirrelMail and/or Squirrel Logger can include this
> feature in the future.

Note that this link points to an outdated Squirrel Logger and an
incorrect way of hacking the source to detect failed logins, which can
now be done without any source hacks (and IIRC the newest Squirrel
Logger does so correctly out of the box - anyone using the plugin
correct me if I'm wrong and I'll fix it in the next release).

As for the fail2ban instructions on this page, I don't know if/how
they differ from Bill's, but I'm inclined to think Bill's are more
complete and/or up-to-date.  If anyone has comments on their
differences, I'd be happy to hear them for when I include the
information in the Squirrel Logger package.