Re: Compromised Accounts

Rob Wright wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 November 2007 08:27, Vernon A. Fort wrote:
>
>> To all,
>>   I run a large webmail server, 19k + accounts.  Lately, just this
>> month, i have had three different email account send out spam email.
>> Basically, the accounts have their personal information changed to a
>> different name and reply to address.  Then they send out quite a large
>> amount of spam email.  It appears the exploiter obtained the password
>> and then compromised the account.  The actual email user is completely
>> unaware of the compromise - meaning they did NOT send this spam email.
>>
>> What i have:
>>

> We had the exact same problem here. What we did last week was to install the
> CAPTCHA plugin, and that seems to have solved the problem.
>
> It seems that the spammers were using an automated script to login via HTTP
> and squirrelmail to do their dirty work that way. The messages were
> definitely coming through our server and were not faked or spoofed.
>
> This was not a compromise of the user accounts on our server, but rather an
> explotation of the system using genuine and valid usernames/accounts. The
> last episode we had we contacted the users individually and had them change
> their password, but this time around we realized we need to be pro-active and
> thus went with the CAPTCHA. If anyone has a better suggestion I'd like to
> hear it. Is using a Certificate the better thing to do?

I was thinking of using the CAPTCHA plugin as well.  Your experience is
exactly like mine - someone exploited the email account by gaining valid
access.  The only ports open on the server are 80/443/25/110.  I plan on
(shortly) changing the pop to pop3s.  Did you do anything else in
locking down the apache/php/squirrelmail?

Reviewing the auth.log(s), I do see several bad-logins for the exploited
accounts but i only see 10-20 attempts before a successful login.  I
kind of expected to see more than 30-40 attempts....

Vernon