Re: Compromised Accounts

On Wednesday 21 November 2007 08:27, Vernon A. Fort wrote:
> To all,
>   I run a large webmail server, 19k + accounts.  Lately, just this
> month, i have had three different email account send out spam email.
> Basically, the accounts have their personal information changed to a
> different name and reply to address.  Then they send out quite a large
> amount of spam email.  It appears the exploiter obtained the password
> and then compromised the account.  The actual email user is completely
> unaware of the compromise - meaning they did NOT send this spam email.
>
> What i have:

We had the exact same problem here. What we did last week was to install the
CAPTCHA plugin, and that seems to have solved the problem.

It seems that the spammers were using an automated script to login via HTTP
and squirrelmail to do their dirty work that way. The messages were
definitely coming through our server and were not faked or spoofed.

This was not a compromise of the user accounts on our server, but rather an
explotation of the system using genuine and valid usernames/accounts. The
last episode we had we contacted the users individually and had them change
their password, but this time around we realized we need to be pro-active and
thus went with the CAPTCHA. If anyone has a better suggestion I'd like to
hear it. Is using a Certificate the better thing to do?

Thanks,

Rob Wright
debianrob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx