Re: Compromised Accounts

Paul Lesniewski wrote the following on 11/21/2007 2:17 PM -0800:

>>> Maybe not effective or good solution, but I am testing
>>> fail2ban.org, with sshd, and I saw a reference ( in their website) about
>>> using it with Squirrelmail.
>>>
>>> I have never tested fail2ban before, even with sshd, so I don't
>>> know if it is a good solution.
>>>
>>> I hope my email help more than it spend bits. :-)
>>>
>> <http://wiki.nerdylorrin.net/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=SquirrelMail> was
>> interesting. Maybe SquirrelMail and/or Squirrel Logger can include this
>> feature in the future.
>>

> Note that this link points to an outdated Squirrel Logger and an
> incorrect way of hacking the source to detect failed logins, which can
> now be done without any source hacks (and IIRC the newest Squirrel
> Logger does so correctly out of the box - anyone using the plugin
> correct me if I'm wrong and I'll fix it in the next release).
>
> As for the fail2ban instructions on this page, I don't know if/how
> they differ from Bill's, but I'm inclined to think Bill's are more
> complete and/or up-to-date.  If anyone has comments on their
> differences, I'd be happy to hear them for when I include the
> information in the Squirrel Logger package.

The fail2ban instruction at that link are for a much older version.
Here is a snippet from the fail2ban ChangeLog:

ver. 0.7.2 (2006/09/10) - beta
- Added a date detector. "timeregex" and "timepattern" are no more needed
- Added "fail2ban-regex". This is a tool to help finding "failregex"

In fact, I tried and "timeregex" and "timepatten" no longer even work in
config files. Fail2ban is now at
"ver. 0.8.1 (2007/08/14) - stable", which is the version my posted
instruction apply to.

Bill