Re: The value of direct inspection (was: Re: --initdb)

At 3:57 PM -0500 12/3/06, Jeff Johnson wrote:
>On Dec 3, 2006, at 3:44 PM, Tony Nelson wrote:
>
>> At 11:53 AM -0500 12/3/06, Jeff Johnson wrote:
>>

>>> Hint: attempting a cron script to "automate" --verifydb is going to
>>> create more problems than fixes imho, judging from my experience
>>> running rpm -qa from cron. That cron script is going to be ripped as
>>> well,
>>
>> Which script?  The one on my site
>> <http://georgeanelson.com/rpm-verifydb.htm>, or a cron script that
>> is in RPM now?  Or am I misunderstanding what you mean by "ripped"?
>
>AFAIK (not looked) you're thinking of doing rpm --verifydb from cron.

Yes, my rpm-verifydb does that, so you are probably referring to my script.

>Well, rpm -qa has been done for years, and has always caused problems
>because the cron script needs to open an rpmdb too. So any rpmdb
>"hangs", cron script runs for months, noone knows or cares.

Possibly it and the old nightly yum update were interfering?

>Internalizing --verifydb, or externalizing rpm -qa output in /var/
>cache/hrmib are two approaches to not playing w Berkely DB and
>accomplishing the same goals.

Yes, and thank you for working on that.  I can write a script to run "rpm
--verifydb"; you can make RPM not need it in the first place.

>With fewer players, concurrent access in rpmdb is likelier to be
>"stable" because updates are like daily, not every second.

I think you're saying that cron scripts for RPM are bad because 1) they
often tempt fate by running at the same time and 2) when they get stuck
usually it it
isn't noticed for a long time.

>There's no known need to push the envelope like yum is doing to
>handle ^C, attempting to push concurrency to seconds instead of hours
>or days.
>
>One does not have to fix problems that have not yet been seen, never check
>a return code that you don't know what to do with is a sane programming
>paradigm.

OK.