Re: The value of direct inspection (was: Re: --initdb)

>With fewer players, concurrent access in rpmdb is likelier to be
>"stable" because updates are like daily, not every second.

I think you're saying that cron scripts for RPM are bad because 1) they
often tempt fate by running at the same time and 2) when they get stuck
usually it it
isn't noticed for a long time.

Yes, he is.  I've actually experienced this in the RH 9 time frame,
when rpm had many more issues with dead locks.  Basically, I was
getting calls where an "upgrade" was hung at around 4:00 in the
morning.  I finally made the correlation (well really someone hit me
with a clue bat) that that was the same time the "rpm -qa" cron job
was running.  In minutes I had a reproducer.  My solution was to turn
off cron during our upgrades (which is reasonable since you don't want
random stuff kicking off in the middle of your upgrade).

All that said, what I would take from this if I was going to write a
cron job that examined the rpm database in anyway, is wire in some way
of disabling the behavior, and wire in some way to actually tell that
its doing the query right now.  This allows someone to say, "don't
look right now", and to tell if the message was received.  Then they
can merrily do whatever they need to do, without worrying about
another party accessing the db concurrently.

Cheers...james