Re: FC6 rpm database corruption

On 12/4/06, Ambarish Sridharanarayanan <srdhrnry@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
[Apologies if dupe. I posted this 2-3 days ago, but it hasn't appeared on
the archives.]

After a power outage, /var & /usr on my FC6 machine encountered fs
corruption. I restored /var from a day-old backup, but now rpm -qa spews
tons of lines like:

error: rpmdbNextIterator: skipping h# \
     1470 Header V3 DSA signature: BAD, key ID 4f2a6fd2

and then seg-faults.

Any ideas? Right now I'm considering rpmdb_dump -p, followed by force
installing all the packages to recreate the database.

Running rpm -qa -vv will digest/signature check every header in
Packages when read.

Headers that show up as BAD when signature checked can fail either because the
plaintext (the header) or the pubkey is damaged. Run
   rpm -qa -vv --nosignature
to distinguish the two cases.

For headers that are detectably BAD, rpm --rebuilddb will discard the header.

The other approach is
   cd /var/lib/rpm
   mv Packages Packages-ORIG
   /usr/lib/rpm/rpmdb_dump Packages-ORIG | \
       /usr/lib/rpm/rpmdb_load Packages

73 de Jeff