Re: The value of direct inspection (was: Re: --initdb)

At 6:19 PM -0500 12/2/06, Jeff Johnson wrote:
>On Dec 2, 2006, at 5:44 PM, Tony Nelson wrote:

>>> It's funny how little we as programmers perform actual experiments to
>>> get the answers we want (hmm, maybe many of us don't know about the
>>> scientific method.)  Anyway, it must not be obvious to us, becuase
>>> ESR
>>> has it listed in his "Smart Questions" essay:
>>>
>>> http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#before (see item no. 5)
>>
>>If "rpm --initdb" doesn't destroy my personal RPM database, but the man
>>page seems to say that it does, how often should I repeat the command
>>before I advise others that it is completely safe and won't destroy their
>>RPM database? Frankly, even a grumpy answer from the horses mouth is much
>>more trustworthy, and way easier than reading all the relevent RPM source
>>code, especially when it starts jumping through function pointers.
>>

>Re: "... the man pages seems to say that it does ..."
>
>The man page says
>
>    REBUILD DATABASE OPTIONS
>        The general form of an rpm rebuild database command is
>
>        rpm {--initdb|--rebuilddb} [-v] [--dbpath DIRECTORY] [--root
>DIRECTORY]
>
>        Use  --initdb  to create a new database, use --rebuilddb to
>rebuild the
>        database indices from the installed package headers.
>
>All depends on what meaning you bring to "create" and/or "new".
>
>So somehow you (or others) are interpreting "create" as "destroy".
>
>That's really really weird and funny if you squint a bit, sigh.

Are you interpreting "create a new database" as "do nothing if the database
exists"?  Some of us interpret it as "create a /new/ database", which new
database must needs replace the old database.

>> So, thanks, Jeff, for the grumpy answer!  I hope it makes it into
>> the man page.
>
>I'm gonna rip --initdb out of rpm instead.

That may help, though for the next couple of years people will still come
to the lists and ask what happened to it, even if RPM's man page is changed
to say that the database files are created lazily nowadays.

>There's no possibility of mis-interpreting what won't be present.
>
>Of course that won't make any differnce at all, users will think I'm
>depriving them of some feature.

Heh.  Well, you are.

>Meanwhile, --verifydb and "rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*" are well along
>to being ripped out of rpm as well:
>
>     https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/rpm-devel/2006-December/
>001923.html

That is wise, just so long as the need for them is also removed.

>Note: I have a very dry sense of humor ...

Hmm.