Re: --initdb

On 11/30/06, Tony Nelson <tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Does "rpm --initdb" ever delete database files, specifically the Packages
file?  Is it safe to do "rpm --initdb ; rpm --rebuilddb"?  I want to get
straight what "rpm --initdb" does, so I don't give bad advice.

I had read that --initdb created a fresh, new database, as implied by "man
rpm", wiping out the old database.  Others have disagreed, and it seems
that they are right.  I looked casually at the RPM source code for --initdb
(stopping when it called through a function pointer), and it looks like
--initdb only tries to open / create the database file(s), and won't
replace existing files.  I ran "rpm -vv --initdb --dbpath
/my/broken/database", and it only mentioned the Packages file.

The only current use in rpm for --initdb is to conform to the doco
so that I don't have to waste time and energy explaining to users why --initdb
hasn't been needed for years and years.

Perhaps I should document --verifydb in the man page for the same reasons.

Have fun!

73 de Jeff