Re: .spec file for multiple target distros

On Jul 31, 2006, at 8:33 AM, Axel Thimm wrote:

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 07:46:22AM -0400, Jeff Johnson wrote:
and some rather simple code in rpm to use RPMTAG_DISTTAG as a
tie-breaker if it exists,

That would be perfect, e.g. having rpmvercmp extend to evrd comparison
where d is the optional RPMTAG_DISTTAG.

would seem to achieve the intended
result much more effectively than trying to convince everyone to
incorporate
    Release: 1.2.3.4.5.foo.bar.%{dist}
as their packaging style.

It's almost alarming that we have managed to agree on anything related to Disttag: ;-)

I agree. And even better: If RPMTAG_DISTTAG could be passed to the
rpmbuild process from the outside, then no changes in macros/specfiles
would be needed at all, e.g.

rpmbuild --define 'disttag superfoo5' ...

would set a default value for Disttag: which would be used as the tie
breaker.

For spec files that (by convention) have %description immediately after package and sub-package Preambles (almost every spec file I've ever seen), then overloading % description with a macro to append Disttag: to the preamble can be done. Add this to some macro config file:

%description		\
%{?dist:Disttag: %{dist}}\
%%description

should come close, although you might have to fiddle a bit to handle % description arguments.

A non-empty Disttag would have to possibly still enter the package
name (otherwise the same package file will exist in different releases
with different content), e.g. something like

 %{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}%{?DISTTAG:.%{DISTTAG}}.%{ARCH}.rpm

Ah, good, we *STILL* disagree.

Including Yet More Gook in package names is what is bothersome to me. Put %{dist} in the path to the package file, not in the package file name itself. Do other forms of QA using - --queryformat to insure that you haven't screwed up by, say, putting a fc5 package
in a fc4 repository directory.

There's (at least) a MAXPATHNAMELEN limit on how much information can be signified in a package file name. If current additions to package file names continue, I'm worried that the system limit will be reached sometime in 2007, so its time to plan alternatives
to adding %{dist} to package file names now.

;-)

I'll figger using Disttag: as a tie-breaker in rpm-4.4.7.

73 de Jeff