Re: .spec file for multiple target distros

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 08:36:09AM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 02:33:33PM +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> > > and some rather simple code in rpm to use RPMTAG_DISTTAG as a
> > > tie-breaker if it exists,
> > That would be perfect, e.g. having rpmvercmp extend to evrd comparison
> > where d is the optional RPMTAG_DISTTAG.
>
> Wouldn't evdr be more useful? Then you wouldn't need to worry about keeping
> package release numbers synced between distro releases, yet they'd still
> upgrade....

I think opinions will differ here, some will even prefer devr, but at
the very least evrd is somewhat compatible to current evr (e.g. as a
tie breaker).

From my packaging experience I really prefer evrd, as if I fix a
security bug in say foo-1-1 and call it foo-1-2 on FC5, but not yet
FC6, I'd like users to stick with the old, but secure package.

But once Disttag is really in use I'm sure there will be different
policies in different depsolvers to allow for either way. For rpm
itself I'd choose evrd.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net