Re: .spec file for multiple target distros

I should say that although I've made a few RPMs I'm not as experienced
as you guys clearly are. For example, I'm not clear on the use of a web
counter that you're talking about. Are you talking about that as a
build-time counter or some sort, or something that happens at install time?

I wanted to clear up the reason for my original question -- perhaps it
has a bearing on this. I've got a package which builds using gcc and
gfortran. gfortran comes in two different versions on the two distros
FC4 and FC5, so if I want to distribute out package I must have separate
builds for each distro (although I would like to one distribute one
.src.rpm if possible). It gets worse: the software builds with the FC4
version of gfortran, but not on the newer version (it crashes). So the
only solution I could think of was to build on FC4 and then install on
FC5 along with the libgfortran.so.0 file it depends on. I could either
create a new (separate) RPM that just contains the older libgfortran, or
I could just include the file inside my package (and add a "Provides:
libgfortran" tag of some sort, perhaps). I was thinking that I would use
an %if statement inside my .spec file that would test which distro I was
building for (either using the 'dist' variable, or perhaps using "--with
bundled_gfortran") and depending on which one it was, either include
libgfortran in the RPM or not.

This probably seems like insanity to you guys: what's the right way out?

Cheers
JP