Re: .spec file for multiple target distros

On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 08:54:08AM -0400, Jeff Johnson wrote:

> On Jul 31, 2006, at 8:33 AM, Axel Thimm wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 07:46:22AM -0400, Jeff Johnson wrote:
> >> and some rather simple code in rpm to use RPMTAG_DISTTAG as a
> >> tie-breaker if it exists,
> >
> > That would be perfect, e.g. having rpmvercmp extend to evrd comparison
> > where d is the optional RPMTAG_DISTTAG.

> It's almost alarming that we have managed to agree on anything
> related to Disttag: ;-)

:)

> > I agree. And even better: If RPMTAG_DISTTAG could be passed to the
> > rpmbuild process from the outside, then no changes in macros/specfiles
> > would be needed at all, e.g.
> >
> > rpmbuild --define 'disttag superfoo5' ...
> >
> > would set a default value for Disttag: which would be used as the tie
> > breaker.
> >

> For spec files that (by convention) have %description immediately
> after package and sub-package Preambles (almost every spec file I've
> ever seen), then overloading % description with a macro to append
> Disttag: to the preamble can be done. Add this to some macro config
> file:
>
> %description		\
> %{?dist:Disttag: %{dist}}\
> %%description
>
> should come close, although you might have to fiddle a bit to handle %
> description arguments.

Would it still be OK to have --define 'disttag ...' as a default?
Overloading %description will probably not make it into the standard
rpm macros, or would you add it along, too? Anyway it looks cleaner if
no macros need overloading, perhaps some distribution specific macros
already overload %description.

> >  %{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE}%{?DISTTAG:.%{DISTTAG}}.%{ARCH}.rpm
> >

> Ah, good, we *STILL* disagree.

That's OK, that makes live interesting. :)
The name is not such a big deal, one can think about that later or
even leave it to the distros/repos to deal with, it's after all a
macro.

> I'll figger using Disttag: as a tie-breaker in rpm-4.4.7.

Thanks!
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net