Re: how to satisfy "perl(XXX::YYY)" dependencies?

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Thomas Cameron wrote:

> [...]

um ... patronizing condescension really doesn't become you.  but
there's more to it than that.

i've snipped a fair chunk of your post, but your point seems to be
that, when working with an RPM-based system, you really have to
restrict yourself *exclusively* to managing *all* your software
through RPM, as that's the only way to remain consistent.  installing
from, say, source or CPAN will make a mess of the software management
since there's no way rpm will know about non-rpm installed entities.

superficially, that sounds reasonable, until you look at some of the
standard installed RPMs.  for example, consider "initscripts", and its
list of requirements:

=====
$ rpm -qR initscripts
/bin/awk
/bin/bash
/bin/grep
/bin/sed
/bin/sh
/bin/sh
/bin/sh
/bin/sh
/bin/sh
/etc/redhat-release
/sbin/arping
/sbin/chkconfig
/sbin/fuser
/sbin/ip
/sbin/nash
/sbin/runuser
/sbin/sysctl
/usr/sbin/groupadd
SysVinit
bash >= 2.0
..... snip .....
=====

  note how the list of dependencies doesn't include just other rpms.
it specifically includes *individual* *files*, with no regard to where
they came from (at least, as i read it).  in short, even a stock
standard, unmodified fedora core rpm-based system *already*
incorporates non-rpm information in its own install process.  ergo,
your point is irrelevant.

  my main point was that it seemed wasteful for an rpm file, if it
needed a particular perl module, to *demand* that that module be
installed via rpm if it's already on the system.  why should the
process care?  sure, it would be terrific if *everything* on the
system was managed by rpm, but that's *already* not true, as you can
see above.

  if an rpm file can have a dependency of a single file, it's not
clear why it can't have a dependency of a perl module, as long as that
module is on the system somewhere, regardless of how it got there.
(this would depend, of course, on how easy it would be to check that,
but the general idea seems sound.  but having to, effectively,
re-install numerous already-installed perl modules that are *already*
on your system seems horribly inefficient.)

  of course, i'll admit that it would be terrific if *everything* on
the system could be under the management of rpm.  however, as i show
above, given that that's *already* not true, it seems a bit late to
try to be a purist, no?

rday

p.s.  as i thought about it a bit more, i realized that, as you
continue to configure your system, you'll naturally be adding various
configuration files that weren't there in the first place.

imagine, say, setting up your system as a CVS server, for which you
might want to add the config file /etc/xinetd.d/cvspserver.  how do
you get that file onto your system?  most likely, just edit it and
throw it in the appropriate directory, which is what i suspect many
people will do.

suddenly, you have a file that's not owned by any package and not
under rpm management.  oops.  by your logic, you've just contaminated
your system with a non-rpm file.  and i suspect this happens fairly
frequently.

so, again, it seems a bit late to try to be a purist.  a perfectly
typical rpm-based linux system most likely already *has* numerous
files that aren't under rpm control.  trying to ignore perl modules
for that reason seems a bit weak.