Re: how to satisfy "perl(XXX::YYY)" dependencies?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "RPM Package Manager" <rpm-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2004 9:21 AM
Subject: Re: how to satisfy "perl(XXX::YYY)" dependencies?

> at this point, i understand the options and i'm going to give cpan2rpm
> a try.  and, no, it's not a "pretty pissy gripe",

Yes, it is.  Mixing "installed from source" or "installed from CPAN"
software with packaged software (ala RPM) is a Bad Thing(TM).  You
apparently don't understand that yet, which is cool - you're new, you'll
learn.

> it's kind of a major
> issue.

Nope.  It's really not.  It's just that you need to learn a bit more about
how packaging systems work (and don't work).

> from my perl guru friends, i know a lot of them install new perl
> modules using CPAN.  a *lot*.

Yup - and this kind of perl "guru" is the bane of sysadmins on machines with
package management systems.  CPAN is great and all, but it doesn't provide
the same granularity of control and querying that a package management
system like RPM does.  These "gurus" come in and puke CPAN stuff all over
the filesystem and cause all kinds of headaches.

> and it threw me a bit when i realized,
> based on the last few posts, that installing those new modules via
> CPAN won't satisfy RPM dependencies.

Nope, it won't.  RPM only knows what you've told it.  The way you tell it
you've installed software is you package it and install it via RPM.

> i understand that now, and i realize i'll have to live with it.  but
> it seems a little inflexible for rpm to demand a certain set of perl
> modules, and insist that those modules be installed a certain way.

Yup, it is inflexible - by design.  If you manage software on a system with
package management system, you want it all to be installed via that
management system.  Doesn't matter if it's Solaris (pkgadd and friends), AIX
(smit), Red Hat (RPM) or whatever.  Using the package management system
makes it so much easier to manage your installed software.  And if the perl
"guru" leaves, it is still really easy to see what's installed with a
package management system.  Not so easy with CPAN.

> that kind of knocks a lot of value out of the whole CPAN installation
> technique, at least in terms of RPM-based systems.

Agreed.  CPAN on a package management system-based machine is a Bad
Thing(TM).

> rday

Thomas