Re: how to satisfy "perl(XXX::YYY)" dependencies?

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Robert Lehr wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 09:02:42AM -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> > i had kind of concluded that but, frankly, this strikes me as a
> > disturbingly-limited way of satisfying perl dependencies.  certainly,
> > you can add additional perl modules to your system without going thru
> > rpm.  but, as you say, the rpm command itself will only check the rpm
> > database.  so, even if i really do have a given perl module on my
> > system, rpm's attitude will be, "i'm sorry, you didn't install that
> > module the way *i* want it installed."  which means i would have to
> > install the module a *second* time, for what i see as no good reason.
> >
> > is this really the way it works?  yuck.
> >

> If this is your real opinion then
>
>     1)  why are you bothering with RPM in the first place?  package
>         managers are effective tools for managing software installed
>         on a system.  that includes RPM with all its weaknesses.
>
>     2)  stuck with another guy's RPM package?  use 'cpio2rpm' to
>         bypass RPM altogether.  that is not unacceptable.
>
>     3)  still want to use this Wiki RPM?  either obtain an RPM for
>         perl modules that you need or create a bogus RPM that has
>         the "Provides:  perl(XXX:YYY)" to satisfy its dependencies.
>         that is not unacceptable; has been done on production systems
>         at Cisco.
>
> This is not so much a weakness with RPM as it is with our current
> working definition of package management.  There is no solid means for
> managing software that was installed outside of the process provided
> by the package manager.  This is a pretty pissy gripe as it is a
> common problem for computers in all of their uses.

at this point, i understand the options and i'm going to give cpan2rpm
a try.  and, no, it's not a "pretty pissy gripe", it's kind of a major
issue.

from my perl guru friends, i know a lot of them install new perl
modules using CPAN.  a *lot*.  and it threw me a bit when i realized,
based on the last few posts, that installing those new modules via
CPAN won't satisfy RPM dependencies.

i understand that now, and i realize i'll have to live with it.  but
it seems a little inflexible for rpm to demand a certain set of perl
modules, and insist that those modules be installed a certain way.
that kind of knocks a lot of value out of the whole CPAN installation
technique, at least in terms of RPM-based systems.

rday