Re: how to satisfy "perl(XXX::YYY)" dependencies?

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 08:32 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   recently, i tried to install the perl-based "kwiki" package on my
> > FC3 system.
>
> Presumably you were installing this as an rpm.
> >   what does it mean to have a listed dependency of "perl(XXX:YYY)"?
> > do i really have to satisfy that dependency with an explicit RPM
> > install?
>
> That the rpm requires an rpm which provides "perl(XXX:YYY)".
> Typically this will be provided by the perl-XXX-YYY rpm, which is a
> rpm packaging of the perl XXX:YYY module.
>
> Remember rpm knows nothing about perl, nor even about whats on your
> machine.  It only knows whats in the rpm database - you install
> things without rpm (and so do not update the rpm database), then as
> far as rpm is concerned they do not exist.

i had kind of concluded that but, frankly, this strikes me as a
disturbingly-limited way of satisfying perl dependencies.  certainly,
you can add additional perl modules to your system without going thru
rpm.  but, as you say, the rpm command itself will only check the rpm
database.  so, even if i really do have a given perl module on my
system, rpm's attitude will be, "i'm sorry, you didn't install that
module the way *i* want it installed."  which means i would have to
install the module a *second* time, for what i see as no good reason.

is this really the way it works?  yuck.

rday