Re: Missing the starting post?

Carlos wrote:

On January 09 Friday 2004 12:05 pm, shane c branch wrote:

Carlos wrote:

Flushing ide devices: hda hdc hdd
Power down."
And there it'll stay, will not turn off until I hit the off switch on the
box. Did I miss something on the install? Or an option I can enable
somewhere hidden in front of me?
Again thanks in advance for any and help.

Carlos

That's the way it should be by default. If you compiled acpi support into the kernel, that might make it more like a windows box on shutdown, but who wants that?

At that point, all you need to do is power off, and all will be well.

--
regards,

shane

I can live with that and no, there is no love less with windows and me:)
But that still leaves the blank screen between the starting screen/choices and the login screen. It seems to me a good thing to see what is being enabled and what is not. Is that a default also? If so is that reachable to change? What file would I be looking for and/or where?

Thanks again,
Carlos

I take it that you are using the graphical login? You might try switching to the text login, though i would think the boot messages should scroll the screen in either case.

Anyway, try changing the default runlevel from 5 to 3 in /etc/inittab.

change the line id:5:initdefault:
id:3:initdefault:

--
regards,