Re: Missing the starting post?

Ben Yau wrote:

And there it'll stay, will not turn off until I hit the off
switch on the box.
Did I miss something on the install? Or an option I can enable somewhere
hidden in front of me?
Again thanks in advance for any and help.

What command are you using to shut your box down?
By default shutdown goes to runlevel 1 which is basically

administrative or

single user mode.  Poweroff (halt)  is runlevel 0. If you're using
"shutdown" command try
"shutdown -h"

If you're using "init" command try
"init 0"

using # shutdown -h now

will take him to the screen he described. as i understand it, to get
that to power off the machine as well, you must have acpi set up.

Thanks Shane.  I actually don't use shutdown -h.  I am getting that from the
man page  I use "init 0" on my personal linux box and it automatically
powers off.  I just figured in the man page "0" was "halt" and then from the
shutdown manpage "-h" is halt.  Does "init 0" not automatically poweroff
then?  (or else acpi must have inadvertently been installed)

Good to learn-
Ben

I have to be honest. I have never used init 0 to shutdown the system, always some variant of shutdown.

However, if I were venturing a guess, I think that either method calls the same functions, so without acpi support, i'd expect the same results from either command.

Next time you shutdown, try
# shutdown -h now

and see if it powers off or just takes you to the halt screeen.

--
regards,

shane