RE: Missing the starting post?

> Ben Yau wrote:
>
> >>And there it'll stay, will not turn off until I hit the off
> >>switch on the box.
> >>Did I miss something on the install? Or an option I can enable somewhere
> >>hidden in front of me?
> >>Again thanks in advance for any and help.
> >>

> > What command are you using to shut your box down?
> > By default shutdown goes to runlevel 1 which is basically
> administrative or
> > single user mode.  Poweroff (halt)  is runlevel 0. If you're using
> > "shutdown" command try
> > "shutdown -h"
> >
> > If you're using "init" command try
> > "init 0"
> >

> using
> # shutdown -h now
>
> will take him to the screen he described. as i understand it, to get
> that to power off the machine as well, you must have acpi set up.

Thanks Shane.  I actually don't use shutdown -h.  I am getting that from the
man page  I use "init 0" on my personal linux box and it automatically
powers off.  I just figured in the man page "0" was "halt" and then from the
shutdown manpage "-h" is halt.  Does "init 0" not automatically poweroff
then?  (or else acpi must have inadvertently been installed)

Good to learn-
Ben