Re: ALSA support (was: Re: Extra programs for Red Hat)

On Wednesday 28 May 2003 08:46, Matthias Saou wrote:
> Hmmm, I don't understand where this allergy to ALSA comes from :-)
> May I remind you that only ALSA _support_ is compiled in, it is not the
> default output in any of the packages I build! It's just like any other
> feature you won't ever use in a given program. For instance I use mozilla
> all the time, and it has a (from what I've heard) powerful Javascript
> console to help debug etc., well, I've never used it, but I'm sure some
> people do.

it's the extra cruft I have an aversion to.  I like to have only what I need
installed, nothing more.

> Really, with or without ALSA support compiled in, there is absolutely no
> bahavior change. Honestly, you're the first I see complain about it :-/

Perhaps nobody else was vocal.  I've heard complaints from my friends over it.

> BTW, quick reminder as I fully agree with you : If you don't _need_ to be
> using ALSA, then don't. Unless you like being on the bleeding edge and
> fooling around for your computer knowledge, it's really not worth the
> trouble, and definitely not for the typical desktop user.

While I'm not a "typical desktop user", I have yet to be shown what ALSA can
offer me over OSS for my SB Live Plat. (non 5.1)

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
http://geek.j2solutions.net

Was I helpful?  Let others know: