Re: ALSA support (was: Re: Extra programs for Red Hat)

Jesse Keating wrote:

While I'm not a "typical desktop user", I have yet to be shown what ALSA can offer me over OSS for my SB Live Plat. (non 5.1)

Hi Jesse,

I don't know about the SB Live, but on my laptops, ALSA sound has provided a higher sound quality for me. AFAIK, ALSA will be the default sound system starting in the 2.6 kernels, and OSS is will be phased out. I think for some higher end audio programs (sound synths and drum machines), ALSA is required.

With ALSA in the upcoming kernels, all Linux distros should get an improvement in sound capabilities. When it is installed by default in future Red Hat versions, it won't be such a pain to configure.

Kindest Regards,
Keith
--
LPIC-2, MCSE, N+