Re: Extra programs for Red Hat

On Wednesday 28 May 2003 03:40, Matthias Saou wrote:
> Huh!? Why would you want to leave out ALSA support in the first place?
> Having it will only require installing one extra package, alsa-lib, which
> is a 300k download. Same for aalib, 200k.

Because I have never needed it, nor do I want yet another sound system
kludging up my system.  OSS has worked for me since day one, and I'd like to
keep it that way.  Too many people I've talked to have followed the alsa
trail on your packages and got left w/out any sound at all.

> Oh and btw, aalib is an absolute geek requirement. How can one live without
> the ability to amaze non-geeks by playing a movie in ASCII on the Linux
> console!? I wonder! :-)

Yeah....  absolutly necessary when trying to install a video player to watch
the company meeting video file....

> Last note, although I'm sure you're aware of it, rebuilding the source
> mplayer package without alsa nor aalib is as simple as :
>
> rpmbuild --rebuild --without alsa --without aalib mplayer-*.src.rpm
>
> Then download/install all the missing dependencies (the part you complain
> about, but there is not much I can do about it!), _or_ add some "--without"
> options to disable even more things that aren't necessary for you, like
> lirc, aRts, libdv... this will reduce "-devel" packages download.

yes yes, I'm fully aware of this, but there is something like a 15 package
trail to follow, leaving a bunch of -devel packages in it's wake that one has
to clean up afterward.  It's not an easy nor fun task, especailly for people
like me who don't trust apt nor yum to do the dirty work.

> I'm always open to suggestions about possible improvements, although I must
> say removing ALSA support isn't an option since much more people complain
> about not having it than the opposite ;-)

I'm not really asking to remove it, but perhaps maintain a seperate package
that is built for OSS, instead of alsa.  I got rather miffed when all of your
packages suddenly were compiled for alsa, and that means every one that I
wanted to use required a rebuild, and a -devel hunt, and a package cleanup,
and an even LONGER install process.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
http://geek.j2solutions.net