Re: Extra programs for Red Hat

On Tuesday 27 May 2003 15:26, Jeremy West wrote:
> Mplayer rpm's from freshrpms worked fine for me.  Maybe I was suppose to
> screw up the rpm's first, and then try to install them.
>
> I think you just had a bad experience.  All my windows friends use my
> computer to watch their partially downloaded movies, because you can't
> watch a partial avi in windows.  Also installing windows codecs is easy
> when you can find the codec, but there are some videos that it's hard to
> find the win codec for.

The mentioned steps happen all too often.  Hell, trying to rebuild the mplayer
rpms so that it doesn't use ALSA (I really hate freshrpms for this), doesn't
use ascii libs (who watches video in ascii anyway?) etc... is a nightmare of
-devel packages, half from freshrpms (which have their own deps) and half
from Red Hat itself.  Perhaps FreshRPMS should put out 2 mplayer packages,
one with alsa, one without.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
http://geek.j2solutions.net