Re: Extra programs for Red Hat

Christopher Wong wrote:

Really? Let's try ...

rpm -i w32codecs.rpm

error: open of w32codecs.rpm failed: No such file or directory

Are you playing dumb, or truly stumped?

The example command above assumes the
correct pathname of file within your filesystem -

<snip more hilarity>

<snip wacky contrived, keystone-kops steps>

LOL! From a newbie perspective it may sometimes
seem as if your parody has some truth to it - but
seriously,  I didn't go through any of the woes you
detailed, and I didn't install apt either -

Think outside the penguin box. Someone who has MP3 capability has little
tangible (i.e., non-ideological) benefit from OGG. Someone who already has
the multimedia capability that comes out of the box with Windows XP is
already better equipped than a Red Hat user after hours of learning and
tinkering.

Installing all the fun multimedia stuff on my
shrike boxes never took any tinkering or
learning, but rather a quick trip to fresrhpms
and a simple-minded, mechanical install of
some rpms -

The Red Hat world is not so sunny in the multimedia
department.

Oh Dear - no doubt you felt this was a major revelation, but you're not saying anything new or profound. It's well known that RH stripped out some major multimedia functionality in an effort to protect end users from possible legal issues or licensing fees. What are the options for a would-be linux user?

Well, off the top of my head there are several.

1. Install crossover - set up win doze apps and be happy
2. Use a multimedia-friendly distro - suse is a bit better there
3. Point your browser to freshrpms or fedora and grab the goods.

Joe