Re: ALSA support (was: Re: Extra programs for Red Hat)

From: "Matthias Saou" <matthias@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> BTW, quick reminder as I fully agree with you : If you don't _need_ to be
> using ALSA, then don't. Unless you like being on the bleeding edge and
> fooling around for your computer knowledge, it's really not worth the
> trouble, and definitely not for the typical desktop user.

I've discovered leaving ALSA in is the safest course of action. The
alternative doesn't seem to support anything other than SoundBlaster
cards at all well and I refuse to place Creative cards in my systems.
They have trash software on Windows NT/XP, which is the alternate boot.
(We actually traced the problem on one fellow's real time show control
software to the Creative driver using floating point for some un-ghodly
reason even though MS declares this is an explicit no-no in drivers.)

(Yes, the show control industry's amusing. The purveyors are all good
friends and use each other's products where appropriate for their
designs for customers. Each year we get together and natter about
fun things like formula cars, junkyard wars, etc. The two notable
exceptions seem to play the "suits" game, which nets them some money
followed by netting the rest of us more money when we have to run in
and remove their shoddy equipment and software to install good stuff.)

{^_-}