Re: iptables as a stateful firewall

On Wed, 28 May 2003, Justin wrote:

>On Tue, 27 May 2003, Joe wrote:

> > Justin Zygmont wrote:
> >
> > >I have setup iptables to do NAT and I was suprised that it still does >
> >not appear to be doing stateful routing.  When I ftp to a remote > > >
system from a machine behind the firewall, 'ls' still wont show a > > > file
listing, ICQ, etc, cannot recieve files.  Here are my 2 lines > > > for
masquerading:

> > >iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
> > >iptables -A INPUT -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
> > >
> > It's working fine here -
> >
> > Are the ip_conntrack_ftp and ip_nat_ftp
> > modules loaded?

> ahh, I didn't have ip_nat_ftp, now it does work.  thanks!

I was wondering where most people place "modprobe" statements so they start
up during a reboot.  Is /etc/rc.d/rc.local okay or is there a "better" place?

What about the above iptables addition?  The file /etc/sysconfig/iptables
recommends against manual entry.

Thanks,
Frank