Re: Extra programs for Red Hat

Keith Winston wrote:
Audioslave - 7M3 - Live wrote:

A great steal and a great convincing argument, to convince others to pay for cleaned up Linux based programs. If my camera worked with RHL, then I might have bitten the hook.

My main peeve was with the ideal that if you don't pay for something. It is stealing, or is dishonest.

That statement throws friendship and marriage into the state of dishonesty and throws the mafia and prostitution into the "honest" arena.

I'll stick with marriage, friendship and Linux, for free.

This is a great observation, Jim. One I will save.

Thanks! I just get testy when hit with comparisons with dissimilar words and unrelated ideals being thrown into the red against the blue contests.

democracy=capitalism, free=dishonesty, linux=communism and cheescake=saurkraut comparisons.

Now, what camera do you have that won't work? If it has a USB connection, chances are it will work from the command line if not from one of the supplied GUI programs.

The camera is an HP 215 model. I went into heavy discussions with people on our local LUG an on the beta lists. Eventually, I ended up getting the card reader. The crack was mainly about not improving on Linux based programs enough.

To counteract the camera setup on the Windows side. I had to install the HP software on my wife's newly bought XP based machine. It was not recognized by the platform. I then went to the HP website. The drivers weren't available there either. When you clicked on the HP website for drivers. It asked for a lot of personal information. I got turned off from buying anything else HP related. ... I have the camera, give me the software to use it. ... Anyway, I rummaged through the collection of CD's and found the installation CD. The camera now works for my wife. I kind of like the card reader approach. But plugging in the camera and being able to download the pictures directly sounds more appropriate.

It bugs me that HP doesn't release the specs, to the Linux community, so they could get the device working through Linux and even more about not just letting me install the software off-line, without having a bunch of personal information conveyed. I couldn't hook my popcorn popper to the software. What else would I need the drivers for?

Jim

Sincerely, Keith

--
"I don't believe in sweeping social change being manifested by one person,
unless he has an atomic weapon."