Re: Extra programs for Red Hat

Vincent wrote:

>think apt-like features need to be implemented cause people will get >what they want, it might
>aswell be Redhat so maybe they can get a buck or two from the honest >people.

Apt and yum like programs are becoming more necesary, with the stripping down of Red Hat.

Paying Red Hat money has nothing to do with honesty. Just as democracy has nothing to do with capitalism.

With that phylosophy, we should all buy bottled water and not drinking from a safe stream.

I think up2date works pretty good. I've used it for the bulk of program fetches. For the programs that are not included, with the distro. I installed them manually. For most users, it would be great for a program that will fetch the needed additional programs, if not installed already.

If Red Hat keeps stripping down their release size and keeps removing the programs that most people want to use. You'll need alternative installer programs. Unless you just quit desiring the dropped programs.

I upgraded both of my computers from RH8 to RH9, with up2date. I didn't get the ISOs for shrike. With the machine that went through the beta cycle also. The upgrade went smoothly. With the machine that went straight from RH8 to RH9, it was a tough process. I still have a few bugs to clear off of that installation.

Jim
--
Jacquin's Postulate on Democratic Government:
	No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the