Re: Extra programs for Red Hat

I was not having in mind those high bandwith people, who don't see the
difference between CD ROM installation and Internet based one.

I am talking about newbies, from the Windows world, who used to have
programs for playing audio and video files INCLUDED in the OS. This does
nothing to do with the flavours, it has to do with the choice. Should we
blame them because of that?

Of course that advanced users can go and fetch RPMS from the Internet,
no question about that (yes, I heard of something called Fedora or
freshrpms.net, thank you).

I am saying the following: can we strech a bit and give help to people
like Matthias to compose that EXTRA ISO to be downloaded, not from Red
Hat, so they can stay clean, but from somewhere else?

Red Hat should do two things:
1. Include the information that this CD exists, but that they have
nothing to do with it, etc, both on the site and in the Desktop
somewhere, like they issued that "Red Hat Speaks On Multimedia" for the
Psyche release.
2. Present something like yum or apt bundled in the Control Center (it
could be called "More Programs", or something), Internet oriented, with
wast database of all sorts of programs, ready for download from
we-all-know-which-sites. Nice warning "We don't have nothing to do with
the following steps, and it is not supported in any way." notice would
have to be included here.

The point is: when newbie, or Windows convert tries Red Hat, he/she
would not go away scared/frustrated because it doesn't have this or
that. He will have an EXTRA ISO to choose from, just insert the CD and
pick programs (audio, video, etc.). Advanced users (and newbies) can go
also to Control Center and pick more programs, unsupported by Red Hat.
The important thing is that the choice exists!

This went too long for one post, I have more to say here later.

--
Igor Nestorovic
University of Belgrade