Re: Redhat mail-spam RBL block of *@rogers.com valid users

On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 11:08:07AM -0400, Steven W. Orr wrote:

> My ISP also supplies an NNTP server as well. Is there some special reason
> that I should use that too even if I want to use another server? The

Yup.
Your ISP's NNTP server is the closest one there is to you (note that I'm
speaking from a topological viewpoint, not a geographical one). Using
any other will very probably involve one which is further away from you
and therefore have a worse/longer connection than your ISP's.

> to non-subscribers. What exactly are we trying to prove here? Clearly the
> decision to use a *bad* RBL is done by a person who doesn't understand
> that this is a *bad* policy.

Apparently, you appear to know what RBL Red Hat is using. Could you share
this information with us? I, for one, would be very interested in this.

> I live in an area (like *most* people) who have exactly one choice for
> their ISP. I (and many of my friends) prefer to use my ISP for supplying
> bandwidth and nameserver resolution, and to not use them for anything else
> if I can help it.

Then just configure your ISP's SMTP server as failover relay.
That way, it will be used only if your server failed to deliver the message.

> choose the wrong RBLs. Selecting an RBL that wipes out an entire set of
> ranges is different from selecting an RBL that targets specific spammers.

Not always. While I'm not a big of RBLs, I find using DULs completely acceptable.

> Red Hat has chosen a bad RBL.

Their choice, their decision.

Emmanuel