Re: Redhat mail-spam RBL block of *@rogers.com valid users

On 6:42am, quoth Gordon Messmer:

=>Steven W. Orr wrote:
=>>
=>> From my perspective, there has *not* been much spam going through the
=>> lists.
=>
=>Lists are subscriber-only, so you wouldn't.  However, Red Hat's employees
=>receive mail through the same MX as the lists, because it's all
=>"@redhat.com".
=>RBL's only work when implimented at the MX, so anything imposed on the
=>redhat.com domain will impact the lists as well.  If RH employees are
=>getting spamed to hell and back (wouldn't surprise me), then the RBL's
=>are their most likely, and most effective tool at reducing that spam.
=>
=>> I find it disturbing that a dialup modem address RBL is being lumped
=>> into the same set of addresses as cable modems.
=>
=>For all practical purposes, there's no difference between a cable modem
=>and a modem-modem dial-up.  They're both variable IP connections.  Mail
=>sent out from one will likely not have a valid return path (even if
=>yours does).
=>
=>Your ISP provides an MX for you; you should be using it.

My ISP also supplies an NNTP server as well. Is there some special reason
that I should use that too even if I want to use another server? The
argument is patently absurd. My point is very simple: There are a huge
number of RBLs in the world. Some of them are good and people pay good
money to use them. There are also lots of *bad* RBLs around that blacklist
based on far lower and more nebulous criteria. The list is already blocked
to non-subscribers. What exactly are we trying to prove here? Clearly the
decision to use a *bad* RBL is done by a person who doesn't understand
that this is a *bad* policy.

I live in an area (like *most* people) who have exactly one choice for
their ISP. I (and many of my friends) prefer to use my ISP for supplying
bandwidth and nameserver resolution, and to not use them for anything else
if I can help it. I receive my own mail and I send my own mail and I like
it that way. I carefully choose my RBLs and I *know* what happens if I
choose the wrong RBLs. Selecting an RBL that wipes out an entire set of
ranges is different from selecting an RBL that targets specific spammers.

Red Hat has chosen a bad RBL.

--
-Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like a banana. Stranger things have -
-happened but none stranger than this. Does your driver's license say Organ
steveo at syslang.net