Re: Redhat mail-spam RBL block of *@rogers.com valid users

On Friday 25 April 2003 08:08, Steven W. Orr uttered:
> I live in an area (like *most* people) who have exactly one choice for
> their ISP. I (and many of my friends) prefer to use my ISP for supplying
> bandwidth and nameserver resolution, and to not use them for anything else
> if I can help it. I receive my own mail and I send my own mail and I like
> it that way. I carefully choose my RBLs and I *know* what happens if I
> choose the wrong RBLs. Selecting an RBL that wipes out an entire set of
> ranges is different from selecting an RBL that targets specific spammers.
>
> Red Hat has chosen a bad RBL.

This list isn't the only thing served by the redhat.com mail servers, so
blocking spam only to this list isn't the only objective of the RBLs.

Once again, I ask you, waiting for a clear answer.  Does your ISP explicitly
allow you to run an incoming/outgoing SMTP server off your DHCP'd address?
Not blocking the port isn't enough.  My isp doesn't block the port, but their
AUP clearly states that I cannot run any server of any kind while using their
service.

This just seems to be a bunch of people that were enjoying a not-so allowed
method of doing something, which made their life easier, and now are upset
because something was put in place (for good reasons) that makes their life a
slight bit harder.  Hell, it would be very easy for me to just kick or punch
any person that I didn't particularly care for, but I can't really do that,
now can I?

So, now you can either bitch to every mail server that subscribes to an RBL
(including all of mine), or you can use the approved and accepted method of
routing your email.  You're choice, but I for one am done listening to any
complaints.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
http://geek.j2solutions.net