Re: Red Hat EW Licensing

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 01:36:00PM -0500, Thomas Dodd wrote:

> > I got the same impression from their description of the Enterprise Workstation
> > distro.
>
> Which, mine or Ed's?

RedHat's.

> Checking the RHEL-WS release notes
> <http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/notes/ws/>, I see:
> References to sendmail and sendmail-cf packages, so you have a mail server.
> VNC is there along with X/K/GDM for remote desktop sharing.
> NFS exports are surely there, so file serving is possible. I expect
> samba too, for interoperability.
> Since printconf is there LPRng and or CUPS is there, so it can be a
> print server.
>
> While the MS products sort of do a few of those, like printers and
> files, I doubt it would be a choise for those jobs. The linux version
> are the same ones we've been using, and so just as appropriate as before.

Good points.  But why would RH bill it as "workstation only, not a server"?
What of MySQL, Apache, etc?  I'll have to check...

> > Now this is quite true.  But then again, you will have to stick with packages
> > that match the system of EW and you probably won't be getting any security
> > upgrades with those SRPMS...
>
> Use RHEL-ES packages and updates? Still I would need to see the full
> package list to know for sure.

But if all the Enterprise updates are by subscription only, how will you get
them?

--
A billion seconds ago Harry Truman was president.
A billion minutes ago was just after the time of Christ.