Re: HPT302 (Rocket133) Issues

> --__--__--
>
> Message: 3
> From: Michael Fratoni <mfratoni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: HPT302 (Rocket133) Issues
> Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 20:06:14 -0500

> On Wednesday 09 April 2003 08:03 am, Brian Hanks wrote:
>
> > Why is the second WD drive showing with 16 heads instead of 255 like
> > all of my other drives?  Something seemed a bit strange.  So, I started
> > to try to install the Highpoint drivers instead of the standard
> > drivers. Unfortunately, they won't compile because they provide a
> > pre-compiled hpt302lib.o file that was compiled with gcc version 2.
> >
> > Any thoughts on how one might find a solution to this problem?
>
> The module won't build, or can't be installed?
> It builds fine here, once the Makefile is edited to define a sane kernel
> source directory. I don't have a rocket133 to test the module with
> however.
>
> $ cat /etc/redhat-release
> Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)
>
> I downloaded the file hpt302-opensource-v10.tgz
> $ tar -xvzf hpt302-opensource-v10.tgz
>
> Edited the Makefile, changing:
> KERNELDIR = /usr/src/linux
>
> to:
> KERNELDIR = /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build
>
> It builds like so:
> $ make
> gcc -DHIGHPOINT -DDRIVER_VERSION=\"1.0\" -DMODVERSIONS -DMODULE -DLINUX
> - -D__KERNEL__=1 -DCONFIG_PCI -D__BOOT_KERNEL_SMP=0 -D__BOOT_KERNEL_UP=1
> - -O2 -I/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include -I/lib/modules/`uname
> - -r`/build/include/asm-i386 -I/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/drivers/scsi
> - -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -fomit-frame-pointer  -c hpt.c
> hpt.c: In function `hpt_set_device_offline':
> hpt.c:470: warning: deprecated use of label at end of compound statement
> hpt.c: In function `TaskQueue':
> hpt.c:569: warning: deprecated use of label at end of compound statement
> ld -m elf_i386 -r hpt302lib.o hpt.o -o hpt302.o
>
> $ /sbin/modinfo hpt302.o
> filename:    hpt302.o
> author:      "HighPoint Technologies, Inc."
> license:     <none>
>
> Note that no license is defined in the source code, so the resulting
> module will taint the kernel.
>
> - --
> - -Michael
>
> pgp key:  http://www.tuxfan.homeip.net:8080/gpgkey.txt
> Red Hat Linux 7.{2,3}|8.0 in 8M of RAM: http://www.rule-project.org/
> - --

Maybe I should have been a bit more clear.  The module compiles fine, it just won't load.
When I attempt to run "insmod hpt302.o" it give me the following error message:

"The module you are trying to load (hpt302.o) is compiled with a gcc version 2 compiler,
while the kernel you are using in compiled with a gcc version 3 compiler.
This is known not to work."

Also, my original question was more focused on why the geometry was different between the two
identical drives.  I find this confusing for a couple of reasons.  First, it seems
that the disk marked as the boot disk (/dev/hda) would be most likely to cause this problem,
but it does not. Second, it seems as though the problem should be consistent for each controller,
but it is not.  There are two distinctly different behaviors among the two disks (/dev/hde & /dev/hdg)
attached to the HPT controller.  From what I see, it seems that the HPT controller is treating the 80GB
disk differently than the 40GB disk.