RE: Red Hat EW Licensing

In this whole discussion, we need to keep in mind the distinction that RH is
making between their products (I am not sure if this is in writing anywhere,
but it certainly is what their account reps are saying in their dog and pony
shows).  They have two product lines now a consumer line (rapid release,
designed for home use and hobbyists), e.g. RH9, and they have a business
line WS, ES and AS.  If you look at the feature set, WS is comparable to W2K
or XP Pro and ES/AS are the server products.  The business line is supposed
to go 18-24 months between major releases to provide better stability and
support for the business environment.

If you use the 24 month model, WS costs at least $358 for a new full license
with two years of errata/security updates (and the other benefits of RHN,
but you get these whether or not you want them).  W2K/XP costs $299 (at
list, at www.componentsdirect.com as of 8:20 on 4/10/03, full XP Pro is $129
or OEM is $99 with hardware purchase) for the same period (or longer if you
do not need to upgrade yet).  Both are explicitly licensed for a single
computer, so this is the apples and apples comparison.

If RH does the WS subscription like the ASDE (Developer Edition), you will
only have access to the WS channel and the consumer edition channels.  In
other words, unless you want to get the source and maintain a "server"
module yourself, you will not have access to it.

Also, if they do WS like ASDE, errata, etc. for WS, ES and AS will not be
compatible.

I fully agree that the priority download, etc. that comes with the
subscription is worth something (I do have my system registered with a basic
subscription), but my argument is that they need a cheap, business suitable
(i.e. demo account is not) update until product EoL.

--
Michael Brown				Glen Raven, Inc./Info Services
Senior Oracle DBA			1831 N. Park Ave