Re: Red Hat EW Licensing

Michael Brown wrote:
 > I fully agree that the priority download, etc. that comes with the
subscription is worth something (I do have my system registered with a basic
subscription), but my argument is that they need a cheap, business suitable
(i.e. demo account is not) update until product EoL.

I agree with Mr. Brown. Windows is the encumbant, well entrenched OS, and it will not be displaced widely on the business desktop until Linux is roughly 10 times cheaper.

I am a huge Linux supporter, I introduced Linux to my organization and half our production servers now run Linux. We do all new internal development using open source tools (LAMP). I've been trying hard to plan and justify a migration of 400+ desktops to Linux and I can't make the case today. I've deployed desktops in a few places, like kiosks, etc. but not for general use.

I've been using Linux exclusively for my own desktop for about 2 years now and it is a far superior desktop (for me) than XP or MacOSX. But, it takes me several days of adding/tweaking stuff to make it superior. For most home and business users, they don't have the time, skill, or desire to convert the current Linux distros into a better desktop than Windows.

Also, as long as most hardware manufacturers write only windows drivers, and most PC OEMs preload only windows, it will be a hard sell.

I am encouraged by the great work being done by the community and the distro vendors, but I think it is going to take a lot longer for the Linux business desktop than I had hoped.

Best Regards,
Keith
--
LPIC-2, MCSE, N+
Droplets of yes and no in an ocean of maybe