Re: Red Hat EW Licensing

Michael George wrote:
On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 09:29:20AM -0500, Thomas Dodd wrote:

Ed Wilts wrote:

Actually, you're not close.  For $179/year, you get the basic EW
subscription.  This has no server tools - no bind, no dhcpd, nada.  It's
a desktop.

Are you sure on that. I don't think I've seen a linux distribution without mail, DNS, http, samba, NFS, or DHCP in years. I cannot get in to check the SRPM list for EW right now.

I got the same impression from their description of the Enterprise Workstation
distro.

Which, mine or Ed's?

Checking the RHEL-WS release notes <http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/notes/ws/>, I see:
References to sendmail and sendmail-cf packages, so you have a mail server.
VNC is there along with X/K/GDM for remote desktop sharing.
NFS exports are surely there, so file serving is possible. I expect samba too, for interoperability.
Since printconf is there LPRng and or CUPS is there, so it can be a print server.

While the MS products sort of do a few of those, like printers and files, I doubt it would be a choise for those jobs. The linux version are the same ones we've been using, and so just as appropriate as before.

But, asuming that EW doesn't come with those apps. How much is it going to cost to add them, using the Red Hat SRPMS? How much to add them to Windows? Can you even add them to Windows? Does XP have an NFS, bind, and dhcp server available?

Now this is quite true.  But then again, you will have to stick with packages
that match the system of EW and you probably won't be getting any security
upgrades with those SRPMS...

Use RHEL-ES packages and updates? Still I would need to see the full package list to know for sure.

-Thomas