Re: Red Hat EW Licensing

On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 17:35, Ed Wilts wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 03:51:22PM -0500, Shawn wrote:
> > 2) Price. Don't charge me for support if I don't want it, if I just want
> > security updates for the next year, then fine, let me do that. Don't
> > force me to pay for support ahead of time.
>
> That's pretty much what you get with the basic download price ($180 for
> EW, $349 for ES).
>
> What people are doing the most bitching and moaning about is the fact
> that they want Red Hat to support the product for more than a 1 year.
> That costs money and they simply don't want to pay it.  That's their
> right.  They can either use the free version and get free updates for a
> year (or buy a boxed set and pay $60RHN per year) or they can pay a
> higher cost and get a longer EOL.  You can't get Red Hat to support old
> products for a longer time.  That's a sure way to continue to lose money
> and eventually go under like the vast majority of their competitors.

Well, I suppose when you look at it from an M$ point of view. I can pay
$200 for a copy of Windows and still get updates for it for the next 3-5
years. Instead with RedHat I'll have to pay $179 a year for the next 3-5
years.

Now the best deal IMO, is obviously the Personal one, where it's $60 a
year plus free upgrades. That comes out a little cheaper than M$ and
certainly better to me in the long run :)

--
Shawn <drevil@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
http://www.warpcore.org/