Re: redhat-config-printer is not as powerful as web interface.

Aaron Konstam wrote:
Well I will admit the CUPS text interface is lame but printconf is
certainly not prettier nor as powerfull as the interface you get by
usaing your browser to access:
http:/localhost:631/admin

I've seen it. I was comparing the GUI version printconf-gui with the web page from cups in an X based browser. The printconf GUI is much prettier. I agree it's not as powerfull. The kde tool (cupsdconf) is better than printconf today, but I don't think it supports auto detection like printconf does. I still think printconf is nicer, but I dislike the KDE style almost as much I I dislike motif/CDE.

It can set up classes of printers and manage the printers at a much
higher level in many ways than redhat-config-printer.
Try it and see what you think.

Most desktop users, the RHL9 target user, only has 1 printer. A few have 2, a color inkjet and a b/w laser. The higher level management is just not something they need. In a enterprise setting, that functionality is great, but the sysadmin would set that up, and the desktops wouldn't care. LPRng was great in that regard.
(I have 4 printers I use at work, and LPR was very simple to setup for a given desktop. Now, local attached printers were a different story... )

-Thomas