Re: A Better Solution to the RHN Bandwidth Problem

At 03:35 PM 4/3/2003 -0800, you wrote:
On Thursday 03 April 2003 15:22, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> Intresting idea.  Its something i've been thinking about as well I think
> something that should help reduce bandwidth costs and the bottleneck of
> the current rhn system would be to deploy rhn servers in all the offices
> not just in the states.  so rather than the load comming into one place
> it will be spread out all over the world.

The BitTorrent idea in and of itself will save RHN tons of money on bandwidth and save everyone else a lot of time. I was actually quite pleased that I managed to push out almost 2 GB myself, so at least I got one more person. :-) If something like this is implemented, then the mirrors will do the work and more RHN servers are not needed at all.

Except this is a security nightmare, to try to maintain so many super secure
sites.  RHN servers _have_ to be secured, physically and digitally.

True. As noted above, it is not only a nightmare but an unnecessary nightmare.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx