Re: A Better Solution to the RHN Bandwidth Problem

On Thursday 03 April 2003 15:22, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> Intresting idea.  Its something i've been thinking about as well I think
> something that should help reduce bandwidth costs and the bottleneck of
> the current rhn system would be to deploy rhn servers in all the offices
> not just in the states.  so rather than the load comming into one place
> it will be spread out all over the world.  for example
> rhn.redhat.com.au  is based in Brisbane so users from Australia would
> login to there, which cuts out the need to get onto the international
> backbone which as far as i understand it data transfer costs more using
> international links (please correct me if i am wrong)  so now Red Hat
> syncs there servers in all the different countries we login to the
> closest server Red Hat pay less for international data transfers.  it
> probably wont save the costs of data transfers with your solution but
> provides mechanisms to ensure the integrity of data.  but mostly it
> would spread the load over more systems and data networks providing
> hopefully faster local access and quicker turn around times resulting in
> more users able to get the priority service.

Except this is a security nightmare, to try to maintain so many super secure
sites.  RHN servers _have_ to be secured, physically and digitally.  Imagine
if you will a non-secure RHN site, where somebody manages to upload a
trojaned update, and sign it w/ RH's key.  How many people will then be
infected w/ this trojan?  If financial losses are incurred because of this
breakin, is RH responsible for all the companies that lose money due to the
trojan?

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
http://geek.j2solutions.net